Friday, January 8, 2010

Japanese Hedgehog Fabric Grocery Bag Holder


Yup, I did it. I cut into my piece of my treasured hedgie fabric. It's been sitting in my stash for over a year, because I LOVE it, and because it's a cotton oxford (a little heavier than a twill, and a bit of a stiffer hand to it). I always go back and forth with what to do with oxfords, as I personally think they're a bit heavy for the childrens clothing I primarily make.

Our kitchen here is a closet, seriously, it's tiny. There's not much storage space at all, so I'm having to get creative with things. It's still not unpacked all the way simply because I hit a point where my brain doesn't compute anymore and I have to take a break to let things muddle around in my head, which is why you can see the boxes in the background. At our old house, we stuffed our plastic bags under the sink (ya I know, classy), but here cabinet space is at a premium. I want to get a bunch of reusable bags made for grocery shopping, but we'll still use plastic bags for trash can liners and the like. Enter the grocery bag holder!

I basically used this tute (this is one of my favorite blogs btw, ALWAYS awesome tutorials!), I just didn't do as much piecing. I used the hedgie fabric as the main body, then some Amy Butler Full Moon dots as the accent. The ribbon I used was sent to me by a friend, it was on one of the gifts she got when she had her son-who is 3 weeks older than Ree. So now, not only do I have a pretty, functional grocery bag holder, but I also think about my friend every time I look at it and smile!

So tell me, am I crazy for using a piece of my precious Japanese fabric this way? Or do you agree that it's better to have it out where I can admire it all the time instead of withering away in my stash?

No comments: